Event - Handi Quilter Hands On Education Event
Are you tired of wrestling your quilts through that little bitty throat of your sewing machine? Do you struggle with finishing all of those quilt tops that you pieced since COVID started? Are you tired of having someone else quilt your quilts for you? Want to try out the amazing Handi Quilter Amara and see what's so fun? Now you can at The Quilt Shop on November 11 - 13, 2021.
Handi Quilter National educator, Martha Higdon will be coming to Middlebury to teach our classes.
All classes are limited to 12 participants, 2 per machine. Yes, you get to play!!!!
If you register for an all day or 2 session class day, lunch is included.
All Handi Quilter accessories purchased during training 15% discount.
Call the shop @ 574-822-1270 to register.
Day 1: (Thursday) all day class (2- 3 hour sessions) - Getting Started with Long arm quilting Cost-$150
Class Description: Are you interested in learning more about longarm quilting? This great class is a show and tell of all the best features of the Handi Quilter machine lineup. The basics will be covered, including machine and frame maintenance, loading a quilt, setting your tension, and picking the perfect thread to stitch out the perfect design. Questions about everything quilting related – from pantographs to stencils – will all be answered in this great back to basics class.
• The basics of machine and frame maintenance
• Tensioning bobbins and longarm quilting machines
• How to load a quilt onto a frame
• Quilting pantographs, Groovy boards, and stencils
• Rulers, basic free motion, and Handi Gadgets
Day 2 (Friday) morning session - 3 hour session - Free motion quilting. You can do it! Cost-$75
Class Description: Ready to tackle free-motion quilting? It’s as easy as starting with a few simple shapes! By beginning with drawing, you can develop an inventory of free motion designs that you can stitch out continuously. Fun fills, creative borders and easy blocks will all be demonstrated. Quilting out beautiful designs using free motion techniques will take your skills to the next level.
• Drawing basic free-motion designs in a continuous line
• Scaling fills for backgrounds
• Creating your own edge-to-edge designs
• How to fill borders evenly
• Micro quilting and using different feet
Day 2 afternoon session - 3 hour session - Can't have enough rulers! Cost-$75
Class Description: Do you love rulers? But are you still looking for new ways to use them? In this class, we’ll focus on building an inventory of design ideas using the HQ VersaTool and other HQ rulers. Point to point quilting using markings already on your quilt – like seams or corners – is a cinch with rulers. We’ll start with ruler basics, then move on to creating beautiful designs for your entire quilt.
• Ruler basics: the right foot, ruler base and ruler
• Point to point quilting using the markings on the rulers
• Using a ruler for a design base on an entire quilt
• HQ VersaTool®: stitch-in-the-ditch, cross-hatch, piano keys, clamshells, and arcs
• Quilting around applique or embroidery with rulers
Day 3 (Saturday) morning session - Intro to Pro Stitcher Cost-$75
Part 1 Class Description: Pro-Stitcher is an intuitive computer-guided quilting system designed especially for use with Handi Quilter longarm quilting machines. User-friendly and simple to operate, the step-by-step process for each function is easy and fun. Whether finishing your own quilts or consider a quilting business, come see the elegant and precise quilting you can accomplish with Pro-Stitcher. New owners – start here!
• Overview of support resources available on-line
• Overview of menu and basic functions and design catalog
• Place a block design using Skew, Resize, XForm and Align
• Demonstration of the Pro-Stitcher Simulator
• Overview of PS Designer ™
Day 3 afternoon session - Lets Quilt! Pro Stitcher Part 2 Cost-$75
(This class moves beginners from overview to quilting applications). This class of quilting applications is an extension of Part 1 and addresses specific functions and basic techniques a quilter will use on a regular basis to finish quilts with the Pro-Stitcher. Tips and shortcuts for using features of the program are included.
Part 2 Topics Include:
• What’s the difference between Reposition, Nudge, and Drag and Drop
• The many ways to describe an Area on your quilt
• Using Skew vs Border Skew & Triangle Skew
• Set up, crop, wrap and advance edge to edge designs
• Quilt straight lines the easy way with Move or Channel Locks